Granular activated carbon (or GAC) is a medium the EPA recommends for water filtration systems. Per the EPA, granular activated carbon is an ideal medium for certain water filters for the following reasons:
- It can remove a variety of compounds that may otherwise affect the smell, taste, and safety of drinking water
- It has a removal efficiency of up to 99.9% for a range of volatile active compounds
- It has a substantial internal surface area
These are just a few reasons to strongly consider using this material in your filtration system. The following guide explains how you might purchase it.
Buying Granular Activated Carbon: Options to Consider
You have several options from which to choose when purchasing granular activated carbon. Examples to keep in mind include:
Home Improvement and DIY Stores
Home Depot, Lowe’s, and various other home improvement and department stores sometimes carry granular activated carbon. If you have such a store in your immediate area, stop by to find out what they offer.
Be aware that granular activated carbon isn’t just a single product. Different types of granular activated carbon can vary based on such factors as size, weight, and more. Discuss your goals with a sales associate to determine if they offer the right product for your needs.
It’s worth noting that you can purchase some granular activated carbon products through Amazon and other popular etailers. That said, you may have to conduct some research when doing so.
First, activated carbon has applications in other industries and products. You don’t want to buy an activated carbon product, only to learn it belongs to a beauty product and isn’t appropriate for water filtration purposes.
Also be aware that Amazon likely won’t be able to directly connect you with a specialist who can answer your questions about a granular activated carbon product you’re thinking about buying. You might therefore need to contact the company directly to find out if the product is worth your money.
Some companies specialize in offering granular activated carbon and other such products and materials for filtration systems. Buying directly from such a company may be a smart decision for reasons such as the following:
- A specialty supplier may offer a wider range of different types of granular activated carbon
- A supplier primarily offering granular activated carbon and similar products might be better able to answer your questions about said products than a sales associate at a hardware store could
- A specialty supplier may be able to offer customized options if the standard products they have available aren’t perfect for your needs
- A supplier may also offer related services, such as technical training if you run a company and need to teach your employees how to use activated carbon safely and effectively
The main point to keep in mind is that, in theory, granular activated carbon will play a very critical role in your filtration system. It’s thus very important that you know what you’re purchasing when you buy it. Regardless of where you choose to purchase your granular activated carbon from, if you have any questions, speak with an expert who can ensure you’re buying the product that is right for you.
Puragen offers a range of granular activated carbon and purification solutions.